Canadensys Aerospace Corporation
Canadensys Aerospace Corporation is a Toronto-based space systems and advanced vehicle development company founded on the heritage and expertise that spans several of Canada’s historic space achievements of the last three decades. We blend our heritage with micro and nano space technology and smart, ruggedized vehicle designs to develop unique solutions for planetary, orbital, and terrestrial environments based on modern, commercial business approaches to space program and mission development.
We are seeking high-calibre, experienced candidates to join a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team working on a series of flight-focused and near-term space development activities.
Position Description – Electro-Optical Engineer
We currently have an opening for an Electro Optical Engineer to play a key role in the full product life-cycle of products for next generation space vision systems, space exploration systems and space-based services. This candidate will work well in a team environment and participate in the leadership and management of electro-optical engineering activities, from early-phase formulation to flight operations. Experience in the development and test of flight space vision systems is considered highly beneficial, as is the ability to work with rapid development timeframes.
Intermediate / Senior role supporting the end-to-end electro-optical development cycle from early-phase formulation, advance builds, R&D and prototype validation to full flight-development, verification and test, flight operations and post-delivery support.
- Conduct research and plan development and design of imaging and illumination systems.
- Perform make / buy trades for lens development for various applications according to specifications.
- Work with mechanical engineers to design suitable mounts for optical elements.
- Develop test instrumentation, test plans and test procedures.
- Confer with engineering and technical personnel regarding fabrication and testing of prototype systems, and modify designs as required.
- Assist with development of manufacturing, assembly, and fabrication processes.
- Technical co-ordination and oversight of electo-optics work being performed by in-house and external developers.
- Documentation development for design, analysis, testing and integration.
- Technical interfacing with partners, suppliers and subcontractors.
- Implementation of industry standard practices for complex electro-optics systems.
- Support to front-end activities, including planning documentation, briefings, demonstrations, proposals.
- Support to project reporting in electro-optics engineering areas.
- Support to development of electro-optics development strategies & roadmaps.
- Identify, assess and retire project risks.
- Provide technical leadership and review support to development groups during electro-optics design and development.
- Develop test plans and procedures for verification and validation of electro-optics requirements.
- Co-ordinate and support integration and testing activities.
- Prepare support documentation throughout all phases of a project.
- Support investigations and troubleshooting issues as they arise.
- Work with project managers and business stakeholders to ensure project schedules and budgets are maintained while accomplishing project deliverables.
- Support project managers and the business-development team with cost estimation and proposal preparation.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Physics; or in Electrical, Mechanical, or Aerospace Engineering with more than five (5) years of technical experience.
- Experienced in the management of electro-optical applications development.
- Experienced in requirement definition, verification traceability and resolution of electro-optical issues.
- Familiar with techniques for research and development of electro-optical systems.
- Highly motivated and able to operate in a fast-paced small team environment, balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders and working independently to complete multiple project objectives in emerging new space environments.
- Deadline oriented with an ability to manage multiple tasks and projects concurrently
- Capable of working under pressure to meet time critical deadlines.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare and present reports to internal and external customers.
- Willingness to learn and adapt.
- Ten (10) years of experience in the electro-optical systems industry, preferably focused on space, with a strong understanding of complex, integrated electro-optical systems hardware requirements.
- Experience with Zemax or other optical design software.
- Management of complex out-sourcing of electro-optical related deliverables.
- Experienced in the integration of hardware products developed by multiple sources.
- Small satellite systems flight experience.
- Robotics experience.
- Deep space / planetary exploration experience.
- Commercial spaceflight experience.
- Master’s degree or higher.
- Equal Employment Opportunity.
- All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada and must be able to meet the requirements necessary for current Government of Canada Controlled Goods clearance and Security clearance (Reliability status or higher).
- The successful candidate must provide proof of having received two (2) doses of a Canadian approved Covid-19 vaccination prior to the agreed upon employment start-date.
- Canadian citizenship required
- Please email your resume to: email@example.com and note position “Electro-Optical Engineer” in subject heading.
- We thank all applicants for their time and interest in Canadensys Aerospace and note that only those applicants that have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org