Canadensys Aerospace Corporation
Canadensys Aerospace Corporation is a Toronto-based space systems and advanced vehicle development company founded on the heritage and expertise that spans several of Canada’s historic space achievements of the last three decades. We blend our heritage with micro and nano space technology and smart, ruggedized vehicle designs to develop unique solutions for planetary, orbital and terrestrial environments based on modern, commercial business approaches to space program and mission development.
We are seeking high-calibre, experienced candidates to join a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team working on a series of flight-focused and near-term space development activities.
Position Description – Mechanical Engineer
As a Mechanical Engineer, you will be responsible for leading the interdisciplinary approach governing the total technical and managerial effort required to transform a set of customer needs, expectations and constraints into a solution and to support that solution throughout its life. You will design and develop state of the art, space-based mechanical systems for our commercial and government customers. You will be working in a team-based environment to conquer the unique challenges of developing flexible systems and subsystems for small spacecraft on demanding timelines for missions to Earth orbit, cislunar and deep space.
- Work on all Spacecraft Structures, Payload, and Ground Support mechanical hardware from requirements all the way through integration and test.
- Perform detailed design tasks using Computer Aided Design (CAD) and other software tools to develop and document designs for manufacturing and ultimately assembly into spacecraft.
- Interface and communicate with customers, program and functional management, other spacecraft engineering disciplines, and component suppliers.
- Develop test plans and procedures and support structural testing at the component and spacecraft levels.
- Perform cost and schedule planning for projects and proposals.
- Documentation development and drawings for design, analysis, testing, manufacturing, product specification, report writing, etc.
- Hardware assembly, integration, and testing for verification and validation.
- Coordinate with direct and indirect customers and suppliers to determine system requirements and resolve problems.
- Develop creative technical alternatives during course of job assignments to reach desired outcome.
- Perform work utilizing frequent application of in-depth engineering principles.
- Maintain a high degree of proficiency in computer applications to accomplish tasks.
- Instructs suppliers as to materials, equipment and hardware for utilization on spacecraft/space systems in accordance with approved specifications.
- Maintain contact with product support engineering and production departments to resolve engineering problems impeding production and to assist in the incorporation of new design concepts and changes.
- Provide guidance to engineers and report writers in the solution of specific, complex design problems, which must be resolved during development and testing.
- Assure supervision awareness of program status, problems and successes. Provide periodic design reviews and update presentations to management of engineering and other company organizations and tools.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering, or STEM-related field, with at least two (2) years of experience with space or aviation mechanical system design, analysis, subsystem component selection, and system evaluation; or a Master’s Degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or STEM-related field.
- Skills include, but not limited to, Computer Aided Design (CAD), knowledge of Geometric Dimension and Tolerancing (GD&T), 3D Printing, Design for Manufacturing, and Mechanics of Metallic and Composite Materials.
- Experience with the fundamentals of spacecraft (or similar hardware) to include layout, design, and build.
- Experience with composite structures, adhesive systems and honeycomb panel construction.
- Experience with space qualified mechanisms/deployables including gimbals, hinges, and actuators.
- Highly motivated and able to operate in a fast-paced small team environment, balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders and working independently to complete multiple project objectives in emerging new space environments.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office, including MS Project and MS Visio.
- Deadline oriented with an ability to manage multiple tasks and projects concurrently
- Capable of working under pressure to meet time critical deadlines.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare and present reports to internal and external customers.
- Willingness to learn and adapt.
- Experience in the space industry working with government customers such as the Canadian Space Agency, National Aeronautics and Space Administration and/or the European Space Agency, as well as commercial customers.
- Experience with low-cost, rapid development approaches employed by the “new space” and/or “microspace” paradigms.
- In-depth design and development knowledge and experience in several of the following spacecraft, or space vehicle, subsystem areas:
- Surface Mobility Operations
- Payload Integration
- Experience with project management practices.
- Master’s degree or higher.
- Equal Employment Opportunity.
- All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada and must be able to meet the requirements necessary for current Government of Canada Controlled Goods clearance and Security clearance (Reliability status or higher).
- The successful candidate must provide proof of having received two (2) doses of a Canadian approved Covid-19 vaccination prior to the agreed upon employment start-date.
- Canadian citizenship required
- Please email your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org and note position “Mechanical Engineer” in subject heading.
- We thank all applicants for their time and interest in Canadensys Aerospace and note that only those applicants that have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com